What materials can I place in the blue cart?
- Plastics #1 and #2 (water bottles and milk jugs)
- Cardboard (cut and flatten)
- Paperboard (uncoated)
- Mixed Paper (junk mail, newspapers, magazines, and office paper)
- Aluminum and metal cans and lids, such as coffee cans and vegetable cans.
- Glass Bottles
All recyclables must be clean and dry. Everything else can be disposed in the green bin to be processed to waste to energy.
What materials are not allowed in the blue cart?
- Food contaminated items
- Plastic Bags (recycle at your local grocery store only)
- Yard Waste
- Polystyrene (Styrofoam)
- Light bulbs
- Batteries (tape ends of rechargeable and lithium ion batteries and place in plastic bag)
- Plastics (hangers, plastic toys and flowerpots)
- Wet cardboard and newspaper
- Clothes and fabrics
- Hazardous Material
- Construction Debris
Do I need to rinse out my recyclables?
Yes. A quick rinse helps eliminate odors and contributes to cleaner processing. Make sure items are dry before placing in the blue cart to avoid mixed paper or cardboard from getting wet.
Can I place bottle caps in the blue cart?
Yes. Bottle caps can remain on bottle and placed in the blue bin. Bottles should be free of liquid.
What type of glass can I place in the blue cart?
Only wine bottles, beer bottles, and soft drink bottles of all colors may be placed in the blue bin.
What glass is not recyclable?
- Dishware and figurines of glass, ceramic, and porcelain
- Crystal and stemware, and all drinkware
- Glass from windows, automobiles, mirrors, picture frames and tabletops
- Monitors and screens of any type
- Magnifying glass, eyewear, and marbles
- Light bulbs
Can I place shredded paper in the blue cart?
No. Shredded paper should be bagged and placed in the green cart. Once paper products have been shredded they cannot be recycled in our curbside recycling program. If you wish to recycle shredded paper, please participate in our Shred-A-Thon event.
What type of cardboard may I recycle?
Corrugated cardboard may be recycled. Wet or greasy cardboard like pizza boxes or fast food boxes are considered a contaminate and belong in the garbage. Be sure to remove any plastic packaging or bags from your boxes and flatten your boxes to make more room in your bin for other recyclables.
What type of paperboard may I recycle?
Uncoated paperboard such as cereal and snack boxes may be recycled. Please avoid recycling coated cartons such as those use in frozen food packaging and liquid cartons (milk and juice boxes, and aseptic containers).