How can I open a new water billing account?

All new account holders will need to complete the Utility Service Application and Agreement form located on our website. New property owners will need to provide proof of ownership (warranty deed or closing statement), a picture I.D. or tax I.D. number for businesses, and will need to place a security deposit. Deposit amounts vary on meter size, number of meters, and type of water account. Please verify price with the Water Billing office.  Note: Most single-family homes require a $150.00 deposit.

How do I close my water billing account?

To schedule termination of your water billing account please contact the office at 954-344-1825 or email water@coralsprings.gov. We will need your account number, the service address, the date of termination, and the name of the buyer if you are selling your home. Terminations can only be schedule Monday-Fridays, excluding holidays.

What water district am I in?

There are four water districts in the City of Coral Springs. Please use this map to determine what district will service your property.

What is the average water bill and how often will I receive my bill?

Billing is done once a month. There is a base fee for all accounts and then you will be billed for the consumption used. The current base fee for a single-family home is $41.13. The average consumption is 80-100 gallons of water per person per day. 

0 people 0 gallons $41.13
1 person 2,000 - 3,000 gallons $54.64 - $61.40
2 people 4,000 - 6,000 gallons $68.15 - $83.89
3 people 7,000 – 9,000 gallons $91.76 - $109.08
4 people 9,000 – 12,000 gallons $109.08 - $137.43

*Rates as of 10/1/2022.

How can I reduce my water usage?

Check for leaking toilets and replace if needed. Replace dripping faucets. Install water saving shower heads and low flow toilets. Run only full loads of laundry and dishes. Turn of faucets when shaving and brushing your teeth. Shorten the length of your showers. Broward County has a toilet rebate program. Visit ConservationPays.com or call 1-800-270-9794 for more information.

Is Coral Springs under any water restrictions?

Lawn watering is limited all year in South Florida by the South Florida Water Management District. Watering is allowed between the hours of 4 p.m. and 10 a.m. Even numbered address can water on Thursdays and Sundays. Off numbered addresses can water on Wednesdays and Saturdays.

How can I pay my water bill?

Payments can be made by mail, on our website, or through automatic bill pay. Methods of payments we accept are Visa/Mastercard, check, electronic check, or money order. No check payments will be accepted if account is past due. 

How can I request an adjustment on my bill for excess water usage?

Fill out the Billing Adjustment Request Form and submit to the Water Billing office for review for a possible sewer adjustment.

Is there any assistance available for paying my bill?

There are resources available in Broward County for residents who need financial assistance.

Contact the Family Success Center at 954-357-5026 or visit Broward.org/familysuccess

Call 2-1-1 Broward and ask for a list of organizations offering financial assistance

The City partnered with the Coral Springs Community Chest, a local charitable organization to raise funds to provide temporary financial assistance to Coral Springs residents through the “Give Where you Live” program. For more information, visit CoralSpringsCommunityChest.org.

Are you experiencing a sewage back up in your house?

When you are experiencing a sewage backup, call us any time of the day (24/7) at 954-345-2160. We will come to your residence to inspect and unclog any blockage within the city right of way at no cost to you.

If you contact a plumber before contacting our office and the blockage is on the city’s side, unfortunately you will not be reimbursed for the cost.

Call us FIRST at 954-345-2160